Winter is on its way ,and that can bring with it frost and cold temperatures that can really impact the quality of life in your Sherman, TX home. Your plumbing, in particular, can be vulnerable to freezes: turning the water into ice in the pipes and causing them to burst in the worst cases. A good plumber can repair such problems, but we believe that preventing issues is better than addressing them after they’ve occurred. you can help keep your plumbing system safe by properly winterizing it.
- Identify the Trouble Spots. Pipes that lie along outside walls or other vulnerable spots (such as the basement, which doesn’t always receive as much heat) are more likely to suffer damage from the cold. Spot those locations if you can, or ask your plumber to perform an audit.
- Insulate the Openings. If there are any post near pipes that lack insulation, notably near electrical sockets and points where the pipes emerge from the walls. Fill those spots with suitable insulation.
- Insulate the Pipes. A good plumber can add insulation to the pipes themselves, particularly in vulnerable areas, so they don’t freeze no matter how cold it gets.
- Set the Thermostat Carefully. The thermostat should never be set below 55 degrees, even when you’re not at home. that way, the pipes in most of the house will stay safe.
- Turn on a Trickle. Turning a little water on at any outlets that may be vulnerable to freeing pipes is a good way to ensure the pipes don’t freeze. It costs just a little in higher water bills, but can save you a great deal by preventing a much bigger problem.
Quality winterization benefits from a quality plumbing service to perform them. Call the professionals at Hutchins Plumbing and Air Conditioning to meet whatever needs you may have!