Electrical systems are a part of modern life, and we depend upon electricity for light, heat, and connection to the outside world. Problems with your wiring need to be dealt with quickly, not only because it can disrupt any or all of these features, but because in the worst cases, it can pose an active safety risk to the home.
Because of that, and because handling electrical wiring safely requires proper training and licensing, you should always call in a certified repair service. Knowing the reasons why can help keep your home safe, and knowing when to call such a service can make a huge difference in getting the problem fixed.
Signs of a Frayed Wire
One of the big problems with detecting frayed wire is that so much of our homes’ wiring systems are hidden from sight: in the crawlspaces or behind the walls. Spotting the problem means noticing the signs that something is wrong, then taking appropriate measures.
Signs of frayed wires in your system can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Odd Sounds, particularly buzzing sounds. The sounds can stem from places nowhere near an electrical outlet, and will usually start and stop in conjunction with the flow of power through the wire.
- Flickering Lights. If the affected outlet powers the lights, you might notice the fray by watching for dimming or flickering effects. Similarly, appliances powered by the affected wiring may power on and off unexpectedly, or fail to function when you use them.
- Frayed wiring may create smells such as burning or melting smells when power flows through them
- You might also check any affected outlets for physical signs of burning, such as smoke marks or scorch marks.
- Sparks are a serious problem because they can start a fire. If you detect sparks in any electrical outlets or appliance, or here what sounds like sparks from a crawlspace or behind a wall, shut the power off to the affected areas immediately.
- Constantly Shutting Off. An affected appliance that constantly triggers the breaker switch may be doing so because of frayed wire. This is one of the easiest things to troubleshoot. Always check the breaker box when an appliance loses power, and see if it’s been shut off. If it has, the problem might lie elsewhere. Turn the breaker switch on again and see if the problem repeats itself. If it doesn’t, you know you’ve got a problem that requires an electrician’s services.
Every family member should know where the breaker box is and how to shut off the power to any part of the home that you think may be suffering under frayed wire. Doing so is a matter of household safety. Then pick up the phone and call in a professional team that can handle frayed wire and countless other electrical issues with confidence and care.
The friendly professionals at Hutchins Plumbing & Air Conditioning are standing by to perform repair and replacement services on wiring throughout your Plano, TX home. Call us today and let us show you what we can do!