This is an interesting question because everyone will tell you a different answer. Your neighbors and friends might tell you never, your kids might tell you right now, and we might give you a more nuanced answer. The bottom line is that you should feel comfortable and good about the decision you’re about to make.
Try not to be stressed out about air conditioning installation in Plano, TX. This should be an exciting opportunity to make some upgrades to your home that could improve your life. A new, high-efficiency air conditioner could be the perfect way to reduce your carbon footprint, lower your energy bill, and make your home feel more comfortable even with record-breaking temperatures.
But first, let’s talk about when the perfect moment might be to consider replacing your air conditioner. Call our team too if you think you’re ready to take the next step!
Factors to Consider with AC Replacement
The first and most important step to considering AC replacement is looking at your current system. If you’re happy with it, and you’re just enticed by the possibility of having a ductless mini split installed, then replacement might be more of a luxury choice than a necessity. After all, they’re expensive purchases, and if your air conditioner currently is working fine then you really don’t need to consider replacement.
That being said, if you’re unhappy with your AC, which is the case with a lot of homeowners, then replacement might be the solution for you. Here are a few reasons why replacing your AC might be a better option than repairing it.
- Efficiency levels. If your air conditioner runs up the bill every month then it’s due to an efficiency issue. While we can repair efficiency problems by making adjustments, some inefficiency will be the cause of natural wear and tear over time. That can only be fixed with a new system.
- Frequent problems and stress. If your air conditioner is having problems yearly or it’s causing you an immense amount of stress with how much you need to call for professional help, then it’s probably time to replace it.
- Lukewarm temperatures and health risks. When temperatures are reaching record-breaking levels here in Texas, you can’t afford to have a faulty system that barely keeps your air breathable. Call us to keep your home safe from the dangerous Texas heat.
- Additions to your home. If you’ve recently added on sections to your home, then your air conditioner might be undersized and struggling. Call us for a comfort assessment to re-evaluate the size of your AC.
- Age. An air conditioner is only supposed to last between 10-15 years in age. Any system that lasts beyond that will struggle.
A Cost Guide to Repairs Vs. Replacement
A great rule of thumb to consider is the following:
Measure the cost of your AC repair, or multiple repairs if you’re dealing with many frequent problems. If that cost is more than half the cost of a new AC unit, then replacement is always a good idea.